Branco & Preto

Biography

Branco e Preto (White and Black) is the name of the store founded in 1952 by a group of São Paulo architects who graduated from the traditional Mackenzie School of Engineering. They were Carlos Millan (1926-64), Roberto Aflalo (1926-1992), Miguel Forte (1915-2002), Chen Y Hwa (1928-), Plinio Croce (1921-1985) and Jacob Ruchti (1928-). The latter being the author of the famous Bodoni typeface. The brand produced furniture in small series to furnish the homes and offices designed by the group and other architects affiliated with modernism. The joint initiative lasted less than a decade as it was a secondary activity of its founders and skilled labor became scarcer. Millan, Aflalo and Forte continued in the company until the mid-1970s, but focused on fabric production.

Commentary

Branco and Preto was a reference for a new conception of interior decoration in São Paulo in the 1950s, which was then experiencing a real estate boom of modern buildings. Its members were active figures in the ongoing architectural renovation. Part of the intellectual elite, some of them personally met Mies van der Rohe, Philip Johnson and Frank Lloyd Wright and were influenced by them. In the establishment of Branco and Preto they included references from Interiors magazine, edited by Bernard Rudofsky (who had lived in São Paulo and encouraged the Brazil Builds exhibition at MoMA in 1943), and especially the work of American designer Paul McCobb.

Despite the genesis of the Bauhaus design principles, there was no intention of mass production; the aim was to create comfortable and well-finished furniture for demanding customers, and that was consistent with the architecture of the period. The Branco e Preto's furniture was executed by skilled artisans in noble materials. Besides jacarandá, they used caviúna, cabreúva and pau-marfim, combined with straw, glass, Formica, iron and marble. A sober and elegant production that reverberates the modernist architectural logic of the founders, visible in the use of rectilinear parties.

The Branco e Preto store offered all the items to compose the modern interior - art, ceramics, lamps, carpets - with special emphasis on exclusive fabrics marked by geometric and chromatic patterns produced by Lanificio Fileppo, which belonged to one of the partners' family. Highly in demand, these fabrics were sold until 1975, together with the move of the store from the old center to the new elitist axis of the city, Rua Augusta.

Branco e Preto é o nome da loja fundada, em 1952, por um grupo de arquitetos paulistas egressos da tradicional Escola de Engenharia Mackenzie. Eram eles Carlos Millan (1926-64), Roberto Aflalo (1926-1992), Miguel Forte (1915-2002), Chen Y Hwa (1928-), Plínio Croce (1921-1985) e Jacob Ruchti (1928-), este autor do famoso logotipo em tipografia Bodoni. A marca produziu móveis em pequenas séries para mobiliar as residências e escritórios projetados pelo grupo e por outros arquitetos afiliados ao modernismo. A iniciativa conjunta durou menos de uma década; era atividade secundária de seus fundadores, e a mão-de-obra especializada tornou-se mais escassa. Millan, Aflalo e Forte seguiram na empresa até meados dos anos 1970, mas com foco na produção de tecidos.

Comentário

A Branco e Preto foi referência de uma nova concepção da decoração de interiores da São Paulo dos anos 1950, que então vivia um boom imobiliário de edifícios modernos. Seus integrantes foram figuras ativas na renovação arquitetônica em curso. Integrantes da elite intelectual, alguns deles conheceram pessoalmente Mies van der Rohe, Philip Johnson e Frank Lloyd Wright e foram por eles influenciados. Na fundação do Branco e Preto contaram também referências trazidas pela revista Interiors, então editada por Bernard Rudofsky (que havia morado em São Paulo e incentivou a exposição Brazil Builds no MoMA, em 1943) e, em especial, o design do americano Paul McCobb.

Apesar da gênese nos princípios do design da Bauhaus, não havia a intenção de produção em série; o intuito era criar um móvel confortável e bem-acabado para clientes exigentes, e que fosse condizente a arquitetura do período. O mobiliário do Branco e Preto foi executado por exímios artesãos em materiais nobres. Além do jacarandá, usaram caviúna, cabreúva e pau-marfim, combinadas a palhinha, vidro, fórmica, ferro e mármore. Uma produção sóbria e elegante, que reverbera a lógica arquitetônica modernista dos fundadores, visível no uso de partidos retilíneos.

A loja do Branco e Preto oferecia todos os itens para compor o interior moderno - arte, cerâmica, luminárias, tapetes -, com destaque para tecidos exclusivos marcados por padrões geométricos e cromáticos, produzidos pelo Lanificio Fileppo, da família de um dos sócios. Muito solicitados, os tecidos foram comercializados até 1975, com a transferência da loja do centro antigo para o novo eixo elitizado da cidade, a rua Augusta.